Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beaver fever

Down with a bit of a tummy bug for the past couple of days. It has been pretty rainy, so I guess it could be the good ol' spring run off tummy rot. Joy!

So in my nauseous stupor two nights ago, I made myself a drop spindle out of some bits I had in the shop. I have never spun before, but got the idea when admiring the beautiful 70 dollar hardwood drop spindles at the farmers market. I thought " I could do that!" ... so I did! I bought a small portion of fleece at the local wool shop yesterday. Walked down there in a sweat, trying to be fast andto minimise any contact as to not spread whatever sickness we have. Took my first try at spinning, or handling fleece for that matter! This is what I came out with!


Awesome success! Now I have the spinning bug! I need to make another spindle with a heavier whorl on it this time, but all in all I am very happy with this as a first attempt. The lady at the wool shop was surprised and offered me the use of her spinning wheel if I would like to try it in her shop. She doesn't spin at all but has a beautiful one on display. I am definitely going to take her up on the offer this weekend. What I would really love to do is to play with natural dyes. Especially since we are in the bush foraging anyhow, I would love to make use of some of the local dye and fiber possibilities.

No comments: